Monday, February 23, 2009

Soup Songs #8: Making Moves

I've always felt that life moves in waves. There are slow moments and fast moments and high highs and low lows. You take ten steps forward, five steps back, 15 steps forward and life continues moving back and forth accordingly. I've decided I am currently riding a good but exhausting wave. I'm going to shed some bad ties, mend some good ones, join the gym and get 8 hours of my week back by ending Soup Songs after the 10th show.

I started this project for several reasons: 1. to face my fear of being on the radio, prove to myself that I could do it, 2. to get back into discovering new music and 3. to introduce myself to a new community in downtown PHX. It turns out that it has not only done these things but has also: 1. allowed me to reconnect with friends in PHX and around the world, 2. think about creating community from a new perspective and 3. discover a different way to engage in art and creativity. I hope it has done some of these things for you too.

Soup season is coming to an end but perhaps Pie and BBQ Songs are in our future. Here is a classic chili recipe that my friend Amy makes for our Bike Coop bake sale every month. I made this the other night for 40 hungry bike kids and although only 25 showed up, not a drop was left. I totally made up the proportions so if it seems like there's a hell of a lot of celery and not enough tomatoes, adjust accordingly.

Hearty Chili for Hungry Bike Kids
[by Miss Amy Stewart]

1 28oz can black beans
1 28oz can kidney beans
3 28oz cans diced tomatoes
2 large potatoes, diced
6 carrots, diced
1 small stalk celery, diced
2 small onions, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeno peppers
salt & pepper
chili powder
cumin
oil

Sautee onions in oil until they begin to caramelize. Add garlic and cook for only 2-3 minutes until they begin to brown.

Stir in carrots, potatoes, and celery and add water until just above the vegetables. Cover and steam/boil until potatoes have softened.

Add canned tomatoes, beans, and jalapenos and mix thoroughly. Let simmer for 10-20 minutes until mushy chili texture begins to occur.

Add 2 tsp of cumin and chili powder. Continue spicing to taste with more cumin, salt & pepper.

Top with sour cream, cilantro, more jalapenos, hot sauce, and other delicious treats.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


No comments: