Monday, February 9, 2009

Soup Songs #6: Knowing the New

One of my dearest friends came to visit me for 48 hours this past weekend on a whirlwind tour from Brooklyn. We hadn't seen each other in nearly two years and yet barely a moment had passed between us. I am fortunate to feel this way with many old friends but it made me realize how unfortunately rare it is to feel that way amongst new friends in my own city. Without forced interaction, with so many of us living alone, people pairing off, it's a bit too easy to hide when times get tough or forget to ask what goes on. People get busy, life moves, relationships are neglected.

I made a decision in 2009 to only invest in people who are willing to invest in me. The problem with that is sometimes people don't know how to engage in your life and perhaps you aren't doing a very good job of engaging in theirs. Maybe you are being too demanding of their time or aren't supporting them in the areas they need you to. New friends don't know you. They have no idea what you're thinking. For me, I just need my friends to want to eat my cookies and listen to my show to know that they care. Cookies may not express love in all areas of the world.

It's recently come to my attention that Valentines week really sucks for a lot of people. Let's be mindful of this and try a little harder to figure out how to tap into these peripheral relationships. Maybe you should invite them over for some soup and good music.

This is a rough estimate of my tomato soup. Add water if you want a thinner soup, add more milk if you want a creamier soup, add more sugar if you want it sweeter... you get the gist. It's red, like love or whatever. It's also just been raining here in Phoenix so Sunday was grilled cheese and tomato soup day at my house. Mmmmm....


Simple Tomato Soup
[learned at Tammie Coe, adapted by Leah]

3 28oz cans of whole tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 - 1 cup milk/soymilk
1 bay leaf
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
2 Tbsp sugar
salt & pepper
olive oil

Place a hearty amount of olive oil at the bottom of a large pot. Bring to a medium heat and proceed to caramelize chopped onion.

When onion is fully cooked, add minced garlic. Sautee garlic until it begins to brown.

Take tomatoes out can and smush between fingers. Break up as much as you can and add tomatoes to onion and garlic. Pour in remaining juice from can and stir thoroughly.

Heat for a few minutes to break down tomatoes. Blend mixture with either an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender and return to pot.

Add milk/cream/etc and spice to taste. Cook down to desired consistency, adding water or more milk if needed. Remove bay leaf before serving. Best if served with grilled cheese and rain.


Thanks for listening everyone. I think we've finally made it outside my circle of best friends! 17 more or less streams tonight. Movin' on up!




Get a playlist!
Standalone player
Get Ringtones


No comments: