Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Soup Songs #9: Begin with Books

Today I went to the library. We have an extraordinary library in Downtown Phx and I don't make it there as often as I would like. I love the library for several reasons: there are a lot of books there, all of them are free and they let anyone read them. There are things about Phx that I find analogous to starting college, both of which are analogous to going to the library. It is the land of opportunity. You walk into the library and suddenly you realize that perhaps you do like black and white movies with patriotic undertones, you think steel work could be your next career move, it's high time to learn about Chinese astrology and yes, it is necessary to reread the Chronicles of Narnia.

The thing that we forget is that you don't need to start college or live in the virtuous blank slate which comprises my small town. You actually don't even need to go to the library, although I do think it's a good place to start. You can do whatever you want and you can do it today. You manifest your busyness so you can clearly manifest the free time to learn how to knit lace and do 100 push-ups in a row. I'm tired of feeling defeated by the hours in my day and I'm tired of hearing about defeated people around me. Make some better choices, learn how to say no and cook some soup with your friends.

I've recently made the choice not to have TV and internet at home. That may seem drastic to some of you but when I come home I do my laundry, watch great movies, write in my journal and cook a proper meal. The thing that's nice about soup is that you can make a lot very easily, thus inviting friends over, having lunch the next day, or freezing it for those times that you don't have the choice of manifesting free time. I like borscht. It's very good for you and I think you should have bright colors in your diet. You can also speak in a Russian accent the entire evening that you make it.

Beet and Cabbage Borscht
[from Bon Appétit Magazine, via www.epicurious.com]

Note: Save the beet greens for a quick side dish: just sauté them with garlic and olive oil, sprinkle with lemon, salt and pepper, and serve.

3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 pound russet potatoes, peeled, chopped
2 1/2 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1/4 of small head)
1 large onion, chopped
8 cups (or more) canned vegetable broth
6 2-inch-diameter beets, peeled, chopped
1 cup drained canned chopped tomatoes

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Sour cream [I use fat free plain yogurt to keep my arteries in tact]
Chopped fresh parsley
Lemon wedges

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, cabbage and onion and sauté until cabbage softens, about 5 minutes. Add 8 cups broth, beets and tomatoes. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

Working in small batches, puree 4 cups of soup in blender; return to remaining soup in pot. If desired, add more broth by 1/2 cupfuls to thin soup. Add lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls. Top with dollop of sour cream; sprinkle with parsley. Serve, passing lemon wedges separately.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


No comments: