Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Soup Songs #1: Nerve Wracking Nonsense

I'm pretty sure this show contains far too many favorites. I may very well run out of all the decent songs I know after tonight. If proves to be the case, this can simply be the most epic first and last radio show that I ever do. You see, I think favorite things are lucky and I do believe that I'll be needing a bit of luck this evening. I don't know the first thing about music or radio...nor do I speak eloquently on the air or have grace when it comes technology. For whatever reason the folks at Radio Phx took a liking to me and are letting me go on nonetheless. I hope you take a liking as well.

This is the most monumental soup of my 23 some odd years on this earth. It is my father's signature dish and it is my favorite soup. Make sure to blend thoroughly or it will taste like baby food and you will be convinced that I have no taste buds and you can't trust my musical taste either. Enjoy.

Curried Butternut Squash Soup
by Daddy [adapted from the Silver Palate Cookbook]

4 Tbsp margarine
2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
4 to 5 tsp curry powder
2 medium size butternut squash [about 3 lbs]
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
1 cup apple juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 shredded apple for garnish

--Melt the margarine in a pot. Add chopped onions and curry powder and cook, covered, over low heat until onions are tender, about 25 minutes.
--Meanwhile peel the squash, scrape out the seeds, and chop the flesh.
--When onions are tender, pour in the stock, add squash and apples, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until squash and apples are very tender, about 25 minutes.
--Pour the soup through a strainer, reserving liquid, and transfer the solids a blender or food processor. Add 1 cup of the cooking stock and process until smooth.
--Return pureed soup to the pot and add apple juice and additional cooking liquid, about 2 cups, until the soup is of desired consistency.
--Season to taste with salt and pepper, simmer briefly to heat through and serve immediately with garnish.




Thanks to everyone for listening tonight, it was a lot of fun. I apologize for any static and technical difficulties. I'll do my best to get the kinks worked out by next week. Here is more or less what you heard:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

best of luck to you, my best girl, on this monumental night! you're gonna be great! can't wait to hear the music!
xoxo, mel

Anonymous said...

is this sean hayes? love it! and you couldn't be sweeter, little sweet thing...